Sunday, August 4, 2013

Orrin's Birth Story

I can't believe it's been a week since Orrin arrived in our lives! I am so glad to be here to tell my story. Here is my story to the best of my recollection (and perspective).

Let's start with a little back story. I've had two c-sections (my last two deliveries). I did not want them, but circumstances warrented them. I did not want to have a c-section for Orrin's birth. The hospital where I deliver is not VBAC friendly.  I spoke with my doctor throughout my pregnancy and let her know that I did not want a c-section. We did not schedule a surgery date, and decided on the "wait and see" game plan. While my doctor couldn't tell me I could have a VBAC, she couldn't force me to either.

Once I hit 40 weeks, things got a little more tricky. Since I was a c-section candidate there was pressure to have my surgery scheduled. I wasn't happy, but I decided to schedule the surgery for July 30th. It felt right...and I figured if I went 10 days past my due date it was probably time to get the little guy out of there (I have other medical issues going on and am on medications that really aren't that great to take during pregnancy). 

Well, unfortunately plans changed, and the 30th wasn't available. The doctor called me and convinced me to change the date to the 29th. It didn't feel right, but I reluctantly agreed. However, after being upset the entire day, I called the next day and cancelled. This led to a flurry of phone calls and a lot of emotions. I was told I would be transferred to a different hospital if I came there in labor. Eventually my doctor called me and talked for quite some time, and I, again, reluctantly agreed to the July 29th c-section.

So, on July 28th, I had a dream. In my dream I was having a contraction. It was an odd dream, and I woke up. I laid in bed wondering if I had had a contraction, or if it was only a dream. Within minutes I was asleep again, and in just a few minutes a was awakened by another contraction. I was 8 days "overdue". I smiled. I laid in bed catching a few minutes of sleep in between contractions until I was sure "this was it". 

I woke up my husband and let him know I was in labor. I was thrilled. I had a plan. We slowly got the other children ready, we had packed most of the stuff the night before so it wasn't too much of a rush. I continued to have contractions and bloody show. We left our house around noon and took the kids to their Grandparent's house. Then we headed to the hospital.

"Oh yeah, this is happening!"

We arrived at the hospital around 1:30pm. My contractions were strong, but not horrid. My husband asked if I wanted to go in. I didn't. I didn't feel like the contractions were bad enough yet and I didn't want to go in while in early labor... I decided to labor in the parking lot.  Around 2pm I felt my water break. It wasn't a big gush though, so I was worried that this would be similar to my water breaking with Annabelle (which ended up in a c-section). My husband said we should probably go in. I went in, but I said I wanted to use the bathroom first. I used the bathroom, and then stood in the hallway. I couldn't go in. I was too worried that if I went to OB that I would be transferred immediately. My husband knew my concerns and decided to go check out the OB's nurses station to see who was working.

He came back and told me all was well and that we should go in. He had told the nurses that I was in labor and that my water had broke, but there was no way I was going to come in if I was going to be forced to have a c-section or transferred. The nurse said to come in and get checked, and that I didn't have to stay if I didn't want to. My doctor was on her way to the hospital anyhow, and that it was good timing.

I went in, got hooked up to the monitors. Everything looked good, thankfully. Orrin was tolerating the contractions well. The nurse told me that there was actually another lady going in for a c-section in just a few minutes, and that's why my doctor was coming in (to assist the other OB). This was fantastic news. I knew I had at least an hour to labor before they could get me in for a c-section. 

My doctor had told me that if I came in in active labor and 6+ cm dilated that my chances of delivering naturally were pretty good. I was so nervous when the doctor came in to check me. She said I was 5cm and 90% effaced. I was glad to be that far along, but it wasn't 6cm. My doctor told me not to worry and that I had time while she assisted with the other c-section. Awesome. This was going to happen.

I know from my previous natural deliveries that once my water breaks I deliver very quickly (like, in less than 20 minutes), so I was wondering what was going on. My water had broken, we could see the leaking fluid, but labor was still not super fast. I had 2 IV's put in (just in case I needed an emergency c-section or medication). It was nearing 3pm. The contractions continued to get stronger, I had forgotten how uncomfortable they could get! I guess two babies without a labor can make you forget!

Around 3:40 I was checked again. This time 6-7cm, and completely thinned out. Then, about 10 minutes later, GUSH. My water really broke. Apparently I either had had two sacs, which I didn't even know was possible but the nurse said it happens sometimes, or I had "forewaters" (where the baby blocks part of the sac of water so only a little comes out, then when the baby moves the "big gush" comes out). Whatever happened, after that gush the contractions were stronger.

 My doctor came a little after 4 and checked me and I was 9cm, baby was still pretty high. After she checked, she took off her gloves, but I needed to push. I don't even remember the contraction, I just remember an intense push... they hadn't even gotten the foot of the bed off yet. I crossed my legs (made them a circle) as I felt Orrin come out. The doctor was trying to get her gloves on quickly, but Orrin was faster. His quick arrival had him laying on the bed cradled in my legs. I had done it. I had my VBA2C! I was so happy.

They laid Orrin on my chest, and I breathed a sigh of relief knowing how wonderful everything turned out. The nurses, doctor, and my husband were rushing around. They got the foot of the bed off and stirrups up so I could deliver the placenta. 

I laid there staring at the wonderful new baby. He had such a big umbilical cord! I mean, this thing was THICK. I hadn't ever seen an umbilical cord that large. Orrin's face was quite bruised, the quick final stage of labor really put a lot of pressure on his face...he had a 15" head circumference, so it was quite the squeeze! 

8lbs 15oz baby boy!
After I delivered the placenta things got a little sticky. There was a lot of blood. I didn't really realize what was going on, but I heard the nurse saying my husband's boots and pants were bloody and they gave him some booties to cover them up. I knew I was bleeding (I mean, there is always blood during birth), but I didn't realize how much. The doctor reached up into my uterus to make sure that there wasn't any placenta left or any large clots. If you've never had this done, it is PAINFUL. She pulled a few clots out, but overall it didn't seem like a big deal. The cord had stopped pulsing, so Orrin's cord was cut by my husband. Then I had a small tear that had to be repaired, so that was done. 

Things from here on out are fuzzy, I can't remember for sure the timeline, but this is what happened as far as I can remember.

The nurses took Orrin to get his measurements and assess him. The doctor checked my uterus level and massaged my abdomen to help it "clamp down". She then told me she needed to go inside and remove some clots, she didn't think my uterus was shrinking down like it should and I was bleeding more than I should. She then reached up into my uterus and pulled out many more large clots (I seriously felt like a puppet- and this hurts SOOO bad)! I was given pitocin via IV with the bleeding. The nurse then had to massage my abdomen for 15 minutes, which was horribly painful. 

I somehow ended up with three IV sites... I'm not sure why I had three, though.

Right Arm
Left Arm
 The doctor gave some orders and went home. After the nurse was done with my abdomen I sat up to nurse Orrin. I asked for some food because I was starving, and I felt weak. I was in a lot of pain, and nursing made it hurt so much least I thought it was nursing that was making it worse. The nurse saw that I was in a lot of pain. I had taken my pain pill, but it wouldn't be working for about 45 minutes. The pain was bad, I was crying. 

The nurse said she needed to check where my uterus was (it's supposed to be belly button or lower). My uterus was getting bigger. The nurse called the doctor back to the hospital. I was given morphine via IV....and then I became a puppet again. The doctor pulled out many more large clots. I was given an oral medication (4 pills) and a shot in my leg to help control the bleeding more. I was told I was hemorrhaging and that I had lost nearly 2 liters of blood. Because I had lost so much blood they needed to quickly give me a lot of fluids. I was given fluids through both of my IV's. I needed to have my abdomen massaged for quite some time. I don't remember how long exactly, but I do know it was very uncomfortable. I felt cold and weak. I don't remember much after this... but I do know that my bleeding finally waned and I was stable. I don't remember much for a two hour block of time, though.

There was talk of a blood transfusion, but the doctor wanted to get a few hemoglobin levels after I received all the fluid. On the 29th, my hemoglobin went from 6.4 the night before to a 7.2... so we were glad and thinking that no blood transfusion was necessary. I had a reaction to the pitocin, though, and had to be taken off it. Then the next morning my hemoglobin plummeted to 6.1. At this point the doctor said she recommended a blood transfusion.

I received 2 pints of blood on the 30th.


I stayed one more night, and was able to go home the next day with a hemoglobin level of 8! It will still take several months for my levels to get back to where they need to be, even with the iron supplements that I will be taking. Overall, I feel pretty good considering the whole ordeal! And, I get to be the proud Momma of this little blessing, Orrin:


6 fantastic comments:

Amy said...

Congrats! He's such a handsome little boy. Thank you for sharing your story. We were all praying for you to have your VBAC :D!

Pesky Settler said...

I also had to be 'cleaned out' after the birth of my youngest. I think it hurt more than the delivery (which was a VBAC induction at 42 weeks with NO pain meds whatsoever). I was crying in pain and begging the doctor to stop, even though I knew how important it was for him to do it.

As they were wheeling me out of the L&D room, I looked over and couldn't believe how much blood was on the floor... it was scary.

Thankfully though I didn't need a transfusion.

Christy G said...

Congratulations mama, I am glad that you got your VBAC that you wanted. I hope that you are feeling better and I can't imagine having to go through what you did. You were blessed with a beautiful baby boy. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so glad you got your vbac!! I had the bleeding thing happen with one of mine, I still remember that doctor going in so far, and how painful it was. Orrin is adorable, what a blessing!

Emily - faliLV said...

What a beautiful story mama! So glad you were able to get your VBAC and the medical attention you needed. He's perfect, and I'm glad you are getting better!

Ruth said...

What an amazing story! I had my daughter at home, so I have only heard hospital horror stories. Glad things worked out like they did!

Real Time Web Analytics